During November each year, Movember (a mash-up of the words “mustache” and “November”) is responsible for the sprouting of mustaches on thousands of men’s faces, in the US and around the world. An annual, month-long, global movement beginning November 1st, the mustache growing is aimed to raise awareness and funds of men’s health issues, specifically prostate and testicular cancer initiatives.
Since the movement’s beginnings in 2004 in Melbourne, Australia, Movember has grown to become a truly global movement inspiring more than 1.9 Million Mo Bros (male participants) and Mo Sistas (female supporters) in countries including New Zealand, the US, Canada, the UK, South Africa, Ireland, Finland, the Netherlands, Spain, Denmark, Norway, Belgium, the Czech Republic, and Canada (which is the largest contributor to the Movember charities).
Earlier this year, the Global Journal listed Movember as one of the top 100 NGOs (non government organization) in the world. Since its inception, Movember has raised over $300 million dollars.
Who’s up for joining in the cause this month? Here are the rules of conduct as noted on the Movember site:
- Once registered at movember.com each mo bro must begin the 1st of Movember with a clean shaven face.
- For the entire month of November each mo bro must grow and groom a moustache.
- There is to be no joining of the mo to [one's] sideburns. (That’s considered a beard.)
- There is to be no joining of the handlebars to [one's] chin. (That’s considered a goatee.)
- Each mo bro must conduct himself like a true country gentleman.
At the end of the month, Mo Bros and Mo Sistas will celebrate by either throwing their own Movember party or attending one of the infamous Gala Partés held around the world by Movember, for Movember.
So, get growing! We look forward to spotting a ton more mustaches this month in support of Movember.