Search for the top 10 places to surf, and you’ll be directed to beautiful, pristine beaches in faraway Indonesia, South Africa, Australia and Costa Rica. But, what if you just want to catch a few waves locally?
Here’s a list of our favorite US destinations:
- Malibu Beach, CA: LA and Hollywood types can escape the urban, hob-knobbing life and just head to Malibu, one of the most famous surfing spots in the world. You may even catch a celeb sighting: that’s where Adam Sandler and Matthew McConaughey catch a few waves.
- Black’s, San Diego, CA: Reputed as one of the best surfing beaches in the country, as well as the most challenging.
- Maverick’s, Half Moon Bay, CA: Mavericks is “the” winter destination for some of the world’s best big wave surfers. Of course, go at your own risk – only a select few are willing to risk the hazardous conditions at Maverick’s.
- Reef Road, Palm Beach, FL: Known for its clear blue, beautiful water, and steep lefts; in fact, “a perfect left break,” it has a reputation as overall, a stand-out spot.
- Sebastian Inlet, Vero Beach, FL: Fast and powerful waves. Plus, it’s the training ground for 10-time ASP World Champion Kelly Slater. Clearly an excellent surf spot.
- Rockaway Beach, NY: And just when you thought you Manhattanites had to all but accept the fate of living in a concrete city, there’s still hope! Rockaway, which has a consistent break off a jetty, is somewhat easy to get to from lower Manhattan via the “A” train. Disembark at Beach 67th Street.